Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Ja, überselig hast du mich gemacht! Der allerlängste Tag, er reicht nicht hin, Und [viel zu kurz]1 ist jeder Traum der Nacht, Zu denken, wie ich überselig bin. Ich fühl's, um dieser Wonne ganz zu leben, Muß Gott mir noch ein zweites Leben geben.
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
Confirmed with Buch der Liebe von Hoffmann von Fallersleben, Breslau, bei Georg Philipp Aderholz, 1836, page 67.1 Ekert: "viel kurz"
- by August Heinrich Hoffmann von Fallersleben (1798 - 1874), no title, appears in Buch der Liebe, Breslau, bei Georg Philipp Aderholz, first published 1836 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Karl Anton Florian Eckert (1820 - 1879), "Ja, überselig hast du mich gemacht!", op. 29 (Sechs Lieder für eine Singstimme mit Pianoforte) no. 5, published 1873 [ voice and piano ], Berlin: Bote & Bock [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "Song", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Peter Donderwinkel , Melanie Trumbull
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 6
Word count: 44
Yes, I am overjoyed because of you! The very longest day is not enough, And much too short is every dream of the night, To think about how overjoyed I am; I feel it, in order to live fully for this bliss God must give me yet another life.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2014 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by August Heinrich Hoffmann von Fallersleben (1798 - 1874), no title, appears in Buch der Liebe, Breslau, bei Georg Philipp Aderholz, first published 1836
This text was added to the website: 2014-12-10
Line count: 6
Word count: 49