Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
От других мне хвала - что зола. От тебя и хула - похвала.
- by Anna Andreyevna Akhmatova (1889 - 1966), "Двустишие", written 1931 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by John Kenneth Tavener (1944 - 2013), "Двустишие", subtitle: "Couplet", first performed 1993 [soprano and cello or string quartet], from Akhmatova Songs, no. 4. [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Distique", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Laura Prichard) , title 1: "Couplet", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website: 2009-08-10
Line count: 2
Word count: 13
Les louanges des autres pour moi ne sont que des cendres, De toi même le blâme est louange.
- Translation from Russian (Русский) to French (Français) copyright © 2015 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Russian (Русский) by Anna Andreyevna Akhmatova (1889 - 1966), "Двустишие", written 1931
This text was added to the website: 2015-01-12
Line count: 2
Word count: 18