Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Я была на краю чего-то, Чему верного нет названья... Зазывающая дремота, От себя самой ускользание...
About the headline (FAQ)Note on Transliterations
- by Anna Andreyevna Akhmatova (1889 - 1966), no title, written 1942 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- [ None yet in the database ]
This text (or a part of it) is used in a work
- by John Kenneth Tavener (1944 - 2013), "Смерть", first performed 1993 [soprano and cello or string quartet], from Akhmatova Songs, no. 6..
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Laura Prichard) , copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website: 2015-01-12
Line count: 4
Word count: 15
J'étais sur le bord de quelque chose, Qui n'a pas de véritable nom... Un sommeil qui vous presse de venir, Une évasion de soi-même...
About the headline (FAQ)Translation of the title "Смерть" = "Mort"
- Translation from Russian (Русский) to French (Français) copyright © 2015 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Russian (Русский) by Anna Andreyevna Akhmatova (1889 - 1966), no title, written 1942
This text was added to the website: 2015-01-13
Line count: 4
Word count: 24