Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
The house was still, the room was still 'Twas eventide in June; A caged canary to the sun Then setting, trilled a tune. A free bird on the lilac-bush Outside the lattice heard; He listened long -- there came a hush, He dropped an answering word.
- by Charlotte Brontë (1816 - 1855), "Eventide", appears in Brontë Poems, first published 1915 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by J. Bertram Fox (1881 - 1946), "Eventide", published 1921. [voice and piano] [text not verified]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Tombée du jour", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , title 1: "A sera", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Ferdinando Albeggiani
Text added to the website: 2008-01-19 00:00:00
Last modified: 2016-08-28 15:06:51
Line count: 8
Word count: 45
Silencieuse était la maison, silencieuse la pièce, C'était la tombée du jour en juin ; Un canari, en cage, au soleil Envoyait une trille harmonieuse. Un oiseau libre, sur le lilas, En dehors de la cage l'entendit ; Il écouta longtemps -- puis vint un silence, Il laissa tomber un mot de réponse.
- Translation from English to French (Français) copyright © 2015 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in English by Charlotte Brontë (1816 - 1855), "Eventide", appears in Brontë Poems, first published 1915
Text added to the website: 2015-01-19 00:00:00
Last modified: 2015-01-19 20:31:41
Line count: 8
Word count: 52