Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
That yongë child when it gan weep With song she lulled him asleep; That was so sweet a melody It passèd alle minstrelsy. The nightingalë sang also: Her song is hoarse and nought thereto: Whoso attendeth to her song And leaveth the first then doth he wrong.
- by Anonymous / Unidentified Author ( 14th century )  [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by (Edward) Benjamin Britten (1913 - 1976), "That yongë child", op. 28 no. 4a (1942) [treble chorus, solo voices, and harp], from A Ceremony of Carols, no. 4a [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , title 1: "Das kleine Kind", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Ce jeune enfant", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Tom White
Text added to the website: 2007-10-01 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:28
Line count: 8
Word count: 47
Ce jeune enfant quand il pleurait, Avec un chant elle le berçait pour l'endormir ; C'était une mélodie si douce Qu'elle dépassait tous les ménestrels. Le rossignol chantait aussi : Son chant est enroué et faible devant lui : Celui qui l'entend Et quitte le premier chant agit mal.
- Translation from English to French (Français) copyright © 2015 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
Text added to the website: 2015-08-16 00:00:00
Last modified: 2015-08-16 09:49:16
Line count: 8
Word count: 49