Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Lieto così talvolta fra lacci ancor s'ascolta cantar quell'usignuolo, se la fedel compagna risponde al canto, al duolo, con cui d'amor si lagna, vago di libertà. Più non rammenta il nido, sgombra ogni duol dal petto, e il dolce antico affetto solo spiegando va.
- by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi (1698 - 1782), as Pietro Metastasio, appears in Adriano in Siria [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Giovanni Battista Pergolesi (1710 - 1736), "Lieto così talvolta" [ oboe, strings, and soprano ], from opera Adriano in Siria [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Andrew Schneider) , "One sometimes hears in this manner,", copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Andrew Schneider [Guest Editor]
Text added to the website: 2018-04-08 00:00:00
Last modified: 2018-08-14 12:23:39
Line count: 11
Word count: 44
One sometimes hears in this manner a nightingale singing, and he is happy even in chains if his faithful mate responds to his painful song, as he complains of love, longing for liberty. Then he no longer remembers his nest, vacates all pain from his breast, as he keeps on narrating his sweet love of old.
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to English copyright © 2020 by Andrew Schneider, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Italian (Italiano) by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi (1698 - 1782), as Pietro Metastasio, appears in Adriano in Siria
Text added to the website: 2020-01-02 00:00:00
Last modified: 2020-01-02 12:35:07
Line count: 11
Word count: 56