Ah rammenta, o bella Irene, Che giurasti a me costanza; Ah ritorna, amato bene, Ah ritorna al primo amor, Qual conforto, oh Dio, m'avanza? Chi sarà la mia speranza? Per chi viver più degg' io, Se più mio non è quel cor?
About the headline (FAQ)
Confirmed with Poesie del Signor Abbate Pietro Metastasio. Poeta e Bibliotecario Cesareo, Tomo Sesto. Londra, 1774, pages 352-353.
- by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi (1698 - 1782), as Pietro Metastasio, no title, appears in Cantate, in 3. Il Trionfo della Gloria, in 14. Il Ritorno [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Ludwig van Beethoven (1770 - 1827), "Ah rammenta, o bella Irene", WoO 99 no. 6 [ SATB quartet with piano ], from Mehrstimmige italienische Gesänge, no. 6 [sung text checked 1 time]
This text (or a part of it) is used in a work
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in Italian (Italiano), [adaptation] ; composed by Mikhail Ivanovich Glinka.
- Also set in Russian (Русский), a translation by Anonymous/Unidentified Artist ; composed by Mikhail Ivanovich Glinka.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Luk Laerenbergh) , "Ah! remember, lovely Irene", copyright ©, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Luk Laerenbergh , Andrew Schneider [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 42