Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Ah rammenta, o bella Irene, Che giurasti a me costanza; Ah ritorna, amato bene, Ah ritorna al primo amor, Qual conforto, oh Dio, m'avanza? Chi sarà la mia speranza? Per chi viver più degg' io, Se più mio non è quel cor?
About the headline (FAQ)
Confirmed with Poesie del Signor Abbate Pietro Metastasio. Poeta e Bibliotecario Cesareo, Tomo Sesto. Londra, 1774, pages 352-353.
- by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi (1698 - 1782), as Pietro Metastasio, no title, appears in Cantate, in 3. Il Trionfo della Gloria, in 14. Il Ritorno [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Ludwig van Beethoven (1770 - 1827), "Ah rammenta, o bella Irene", WoO 99 no. 6 [ SATB quartet with piano ], from Mehrstimmige italienische Gesänge, no. 6 [sung text checked 1 time]
This text (or a part of it) is used in a work
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in Italian (Italiano), [adaptation] ; composed by Mikhail Ivanovich Glinka.
- Also set in Russian (Русский), a translation by Anonymous/Unidentified Artist ; composed by Mikhail Ivanovich Glinka.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Luk Laerenbergh) , "Ah! remember, lovely Irene", copyright ©, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Luk Laerenbergh , Andrew Schneider [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 42
Ach, besinn’ dich, schön’ Irene, dass du Treue mir geschworen. Kehr zurück, geliebte Schöne, zu der ersten Liebe dein. Welcher Trost, o Gott, verbleibt mir, wer wird meine Hoffnung sein? Welchem neuen soll ich leben, wenn dies Herz nicht länger mein?
About the headline (FAQ)Translation of title "Ah rammenta" = "Ach, besinn' dich"
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to German (Deutsch) copyright © 2020 by Bertram Kottmann, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Bertram Kottmann.  Contact: BKottmann (AT) t-online.deIf you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
- a text in Italian (Italiano) by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi (1698 - 1782), as Pietro Metastasio, no title, appears in Cantate, in 3. Il Trionfo della Gloria, in 14. Il Ritorno
This text was added to the website: 2020-02-17
Line count: 8
Word count: 41