Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Alfred Packer ate five prospectors whom he was guiding over a high Colorado plateau in 1874. The judge who sentenced Packer to hang indignantly pointed out that "There was only six Democrats in all of Hinsdale County and you ate five of them." The Department of Agriculture startled the official community by dedicating its cafeteria to Alfred Packer. Then the General Services Administration removed the plaque and accused them of "bad taste."
- by Anonymous / Unidentified Author, from True Remarkable Occurrences [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Elizabeth Walton Vercoe (b. 1941), "Eating Democrats", 2005, first performed 2007 [ voice and guitar ], from Five True Remarkable Occurrences, no. 1, confirmed with composer's website [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "En mangeant des démocrates", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website: 2007-08-17 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:26
Line count: 9
Word count: 72
Alfred Packer mangea cinq prospecteurs qu'il guidait sur un plateau élevé du Colorado en 1874. Le juge qui condamna Packer à être pendu fit remarquer avec indignation : « Il y avait seulement six démocrates dans tout le comté de Hinsdale et vous en avez mangé cinq. » Le Département de l'Agriculture a surpris la communauté officielle en dédiant sa cafétéria à Alfred Packer. Alors les services généraux de l'Administration ont enlevé la plaque et l'ont accusé de « mauvais goût. »
- Translation from English to French (Français) copyright © 2019 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in English by Anonymous/Unidentified Artist, from True Remarkable Occurrences
Text added to the website: 2019-07-04 00:00:00
Last modified: 2019-07-04 11:07:21
Line count: 9
Word count: 82