Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
In dreams unhappy, I behold you stand As heretofore: The unremember'd tokens in your hand Avail no more. No more the morning glow, no more the grace, Enshrines, endears. Cold beats the light of time upon your face And shows your tears. He came and went. Perchance you wept awhile And then forgot. Ah me! but he that left you with a smile Forgets you not.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Robert Louis Stevenson (1850 - 1894), no title, appears in Songs of Travel and other verses, no. 4, first published 1896 [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Elliott Schenck , "In dreams unhappy, I behold you stand", published 1902, from The Unforgotten [ sung text not verified ]
- by Ralph Vaughan Williams (1872 - 1958), "In dreams", 1904, published 1907, orchestrated 1962 [voice and piano], from Songs of Travel, no. 5. [ sung text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) [singable] (David Paley) , "Im Traum", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Nei sogni", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:50
Line count: 12
Word count: 66
Infeliç en els somnis, esguardo la teva imatge com he fet fins ara: les oblidades penyores d’amor a la teva mà ja no serveixen de res. El color viu al matí, la gràcia, ja no t’emparen ni et fan encisadora. Gèlida, colpeja al teu rostre la llum del temps i fa palesar les teves llàgrimes. Ell vingué i marxà. Potser plorares una estona i després l’oblidares. Ai! Però aquell que et deixà amb un somriure, no t’ha mai oblidat.
About the headline (FAQ)Translation of title "In dreams" = "En somnis"
- Translation from English to Catalan (Català) copyright © 2016 by Salvador Pila, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in English by Robert Louis Stevenson (1850 - 1894), no title, appears in Songs of Travel and other verses, no. 4, first published 1896
Text added to the website: 2016-02-11 00:00:00
Last modified: 2016-02-11 18:12:19
Line count: 12
Word count: 79