Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
A Wind that rose Though not a Leaf In any Forest stirred But with itself did cold [commune]1 Beyond the Realm of Bird — A Wind that woke a lone Delight Like Separation's Swell Restored in Arctic Confidence To the Invisible —
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
1 in Dickinson's letters and many editions, "engage"
- by Emily Dickinson (1830 - 1886), no title [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Ann Marie Callaway (b. 1949), "A Wind that rose", 1979 [soprano, flute, piano], from Besides this May, no. 3. [text not verified]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Bertram Kottmann
This text was added to the website: 2016-03-29
Line count: 9
Word count: 42
Un Vent qui se leva bien qu'aucune feuille Dans aucune Forêt ne bougeât -- Mais avec lui-même le froid conversait Au-delà du royaume de l'Oiseau. Un Vent qui éveilla une Joie solitaire Comme la Houle de la Séparation -- Rétabli dans sa confiance Arctique À l'Invisible.
About the headline (FAQ)
- Translation from English to French (Français) copyright © 2016 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2016-04-12
Line count: 9
Word count: 44