Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
A Wind that rose Though not a Leaf In any Forest stirred But with itself did cold [commune]1 Beyond the Realm of Bird — A Wind that woke a lone Delight Like Separation's Swell Restored in Arctic Confidence To the Invisible —
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
1 in Dickinson's letters and many editions, "engage"
- by Emily Dickinson (1830 - 1886), no title [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Ann Marie Callaway (b. 1949), "A Wind that rose", 1979 [soprano, flute, piano], from Besides this May, no. 3. [text not verified]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Bertram Kottmann
Text added to the website: 2016-03-29 00:00:00
Last modified: 2016-04-12 20:13:14
Line count: 9
Word count: 42
Un Vent qui se leva bien qu'aucune feuille Dans aucune Forêt ne bougeât -- Mais avec lui-même le froid conversait Au-delà du royaume de l'Oiseau. Un Vent qui éveilla une Joie solitaire Comme la Houle de la Séparation -- Rétabli dans sa confiance Arctique À l'Invisible.
About the headline (FAQ)
- Translation from English to French (Français) copyright © 2016 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
Text added to the website: 2016-04-12 00:00:00
Last modified: 2016-04-12 20:11:33
Line count: 9
Word count: 44