When you hold your lamp in the sky it throws its light on my face and its shadow falls over you. When I hold the lamp of love in my heart its light falls on you and I am left standing behind in the shadow.
About the headline (FAQ)
Note: the original has two lines; line breaks have been added to let us see the translations in parallel.
Confirmed with Fruit-Gathering, by Rabindranath Tagore, translated from Bengali to English by the author, New York: The Macmillan Company, 1916.
- by Rabindranath Tagore (1861 - 1941), no title, appears in Fruit-Gathering, no. 70, first published 1916 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
- a text in Bangla (Bengali) by Rabindranath Tagore (1861 - 1941) [text unavailable]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- [ None yet in the database ]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in Italian (Italiano), a translation by Rocco Sebastiano Nicola Carabba (1854 - 1924) ENG FRE ; composed by Nino Rota.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Andrew Schneider [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2017-04-25
Line count: 6
Word count: 45