Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
His Bill an Auger is His Head, a Cap and Frill He laboreth at every Tree A Worm, His utmost Goal --
- by Emily Dickinson (1830 - 1886) [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Julian Philips (b. 1969), "The woodpecker", 1997/2002, published 2007 [high voice and piano], from An Amherst Bestiary, no. 5, Peters Edition [ sung text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Le pic", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Sharon Krebs) , "Der Specht", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2014-08-28
Line count: 4
Word count: 21
Son Bec est une Foreuse Sa Tête, une Toque et une Collerette Il travaille dur sur chaque Arbre Un Ver, son But suprême --
- Translation from English to French (Français) copyright © 2017 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2017-09-09
Line count: 4
Word count: 23