Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
The Bobolink is gone -- The Rowdy of the Meadow -- And no one swaggers now but me -- The Presbyterian Birds Can now resume the Meeting He boldly interrupted that overflowing Day When supplicating mercy In a portentous way He swung upon the Decalogue And shouted let us pray --
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Emily Dickinson (1830 - 1886), no title, appears in Bolts of Melody, first published 1945 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Ray Green (b. 1908), "Bobolink", published 1954 [SSA chorus a cappella], from Three Choral Songs [ sung text not verified ]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Le goglu", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website: 2004-06-02 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:07
Line count: 10
Word count: 47
Le Goglu est parti -- Le Chahuteur de la Prairie -- Et maintenant personne ne se pavane à part moi -- Les Oiseaux Presbytériens Peuvent maintenant continuer la Réunion Qu'il interrompait hardiment ce Jour débordant Quand suppliant la miséricorde D'une manière prodigieuse Il se balançait sur le Décalogue Et criait Prions --
- Translation from English to French (Français) copyright © 2017 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in English by Emily Dickinson (1830 - 1886), no title, appears in Bolts of Melody, first published 1945
Text added to the website: 2017-09-12 00:00:00
Last modified: 2017-09-12 04:03:05
Line count: 10
Word count: 48