Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Leise, leise, laßt uns singen, Still schon zieht der Mond die Bahn, Sternlein süßen Gruß dir bringen. Mög auch uns'rer zu dir dringen, Stimmet d'rum ein Liedchen an: Holde, erwache! Holde, erwache! Höre, höre uns're Weise, Die der Zephir zu dir weht, Die der Minne klingt zum Preise! Öffne doch dein Fenster leise, Unser zartes Liedchen fleht: Holde, erwache! Holde, erwache! Leise, leise laßt uns singen, Schlumm're sanft, wer schlummern will. Möcht' es unserm Spiel gelingen, Nur in ihren Traum zu klingen. Laßt uns rufen, aber still: Fanny, erwache! Fanny, erwache!
About the headline (FAQ)
Note: This is a text versified retroactively by Anton Weiß to Schubert's part song. His third stanza is the original text set by Schubert. The author of Schubert's original text is unknown.
- by Anton Weiß (1869 - 1940?), "Nächtliches Ständchen"
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Franz Peter Schubert (1797 - 1828), "Ständchen", alternate title: "Leise, leise laßt uns singen", D 635 (c1819), published 1907 [ ttbb quartet ], attachment to Die Musik VI, Heft 7, ed. Mandyczewski; confirmed with Universal Edition, Chorreihe. U.E.12332, Copyright 1955 By Universal Edition Ltd., London. [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Nachtelijke serenade", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Pieter Wiersma , Peter Rastl [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2010-02-27
Line count: 18
Word count: 91
Quietly, quietly let us sing, The moon is already silently traversing its course. Little stars bring sweet greetings to you. May ours as well reach you, Therefore strike up a little song: Lovely one, awake! Lovely one, awake! Hear, hear our lay, Which the zephyr wafts toward you, Which rings out in praise of courtly love! Open your window quietly, Our delicate song implores: Lovely one, awake! Lovely one, awake! Quietly, quietly let us sing, May whoever wishes to slumber, slumber sweetly. May our playing succeed in Sounding only into her dream. Let us call, but quietly: Fanny, awake! Fanny, awake!
About the headline (FAQ)
Translations of title(s):
"Ständchen" = "Serenade"
"Nächtliches Ständchen" = "Nighttime serenade"
"Leise, leise laßt uns singen" = "Quietly, quietly let us sing"
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2018 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Anton Weiß (1869 - 1940?), "Nächtliches Ständchen"
This text was added to the website: 2018-06-29
Line count: 18
Word count: 101