Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Io dico all'antro addio; Ma quello al pianto mio Sento che mormorando Addio risponde. Sospiro, e i miei sospiri Ne' replicati giri Zeffiro rende a me Da quelle fronde.
- by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi (1698 - 1782), as Pietro Metastasio, written 1720, appears in L'Angelica [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Gaspare Luigi Pacifico Spontini (1774 - 1851), "Io dico all'antro addio" [voice and piano or harp] [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Andrew Schneider) , "I say farewell to my cave", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Andrew Schneider [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2017-08-04
Line count: 8
Word count: 29
I say farewell to my cave, but I perceive that it, murmuring, responds to my weeping with its own farewell. I sigh, and Zephyrus proceeds to repeat these sighs, turning them back to me via those branches which sigh with the wind.
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to English copyright © 2018 by Andrew Schneider, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Italian (Italiano) by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi (1698 - 1782), as Pietro Metastasio, written 1720, appears in L'Angelica
This text was added to the website: 2018-07-03
Line count: 8
Word count: 42