Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Esser deggio come un scoglio che all'orgoglio di due venti senza moversi sen sta. Hanno in petto egual valore fede e amore, ma costante forte il cor li sosterrà.
- by Sebastiano Biancardi (1679 - 1741), as Domenico Lalli [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Alessandro Scarlatti (1659 - 1725), "Esser deggio come un scoglio", from the opera Tigrane [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Andrew Schneider) , "I must be like a stone", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Andrew Schneider [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2018-05-12
Line count: 8
Word count: 29
I must be like a stone that remains immobile even when confronted with two proud winds. Faith and love may have equal worth, but my heart will sustain them with constancy and strength.
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to English copyright © 2018 by Andrew Schneider, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Italian (Italiano) by Sebastiano Biancardi (1679 - 1741), as Domenico Lalli
This text was added to the website: 2018-07-11
Line count: 7
Word count: 33