Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Ah non son io che parlo, è il barbaro dolore che mi divide il core, che delirar mi fa. Non cura il ciel tiranno l’affanno in cui mi vedo. Un fulmine gli chiedo e un fulmine non ha.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi (1698 - 1782), as Pietro Metastasio, appears in Ezio [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- [ None yet in the database ]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in Italian (Italiano), adapted by Giuseppe Palomba (flourished 1769-1825) , no title [an adaptation] ENG ; composed by Valentino Fioravanti.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Andrew Schneider) , copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Andrew Schneider [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2018-07-23
Line count: 8
Word count: 38
Ah, it is not I who am talking, but rather this fierce pain which rends my heart asunder and which causes me to lose my senses. Cruel heaven cannot cure this suffering which I see myself enduring. Though I ask for lightning to strike me down, heaven has no such bolts.
About the headline (FAQ)
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to English copyright © 2018 by Andrew Schneider, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Italian (Italiano) by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi (1698 - 1782), as Pietro Metastasio, appears in Ezio
This text was added to the website: 2018-08-05
Line count: 9
Word count: 51