Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Nasce al bosco in rozza cuna un felice pastorello e coll’aure di fortuna giunge i regni a dominar. Presso al trono in regie fasce sventurato un altro nasce e fra l’ire della sorte va gli armenti a pascolar.
- by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi (1698 - 1782), as Pietro Metastasio, appears in Ezio [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Georg Friedrich Händel (1685 - 1759), "Nasce al bosco in rozza cuna", HWV 29 (1732), first performed 1732 [oboe, strings, bass voice, and continuo], from the opera Ezio [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Andrew Schneider) , copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Andrew Schneider [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2018-07-23
Line count: 8
Word count: 38
In the woods, in a rough crib, a happy, carefree shepherd is born, and buoyed by the breezes of Fortune, he comes to dominate empires. Close to the throne, in kingly garb, another unlucky soul is born, and set upon by Fate's cruelty, he goes forth to graze flocks.
About the headline (FAQ)
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to English copyright © 2018 by Andrew Schneider, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Italian (Italiano) by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi (1698 - 1782), as Pietro Metastasio, appears in Ezio
This text was added to the website: 2018-08-16
Line count: 8
Word count: 49