Thank you for visiting!
If you haven't already, please consider donating.
Visitor donations keep us online and growing!
Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Wieder will mein froher Mund begegnen Deinen Lippen, die mich küssend segnen, Deine lieben Finger will ich halten Und in meine Finger spielend falten, Meinen Blick an deinem dürstend füllen, Tief mein Haupt in deine Haare hüllen, Will mit immerwachen jungen Gliedern Deiner Glieder Regung treu erwidern Und aus immer neuen Liebesfeuern Deine Schönheit tausendmal erneuern, Bis wir ganz gestillt und dankbar beide Selig wohnen über allem Leide, Bis wir Tag und Nacht und Heut und Gestern Wunschlos grüßen als geliebte Schwestern, Bis wir über allem Tun und Handeln Als Verklärte ganz im Frieden wandeln.
Please note: this text, provided here for educational and research use, is in the public domain in Canada, but it may still be copyright in other legal jurisdictions. The LiederNet Archive makes no guarantee that the above text is public domain in your country. Please consult your country's copyright statutes or a qualified IP attorney to verify whether a certain text is in the public domain in your country or if downloading or distributing a copy constitutes fair use. The LiederNet Archive assumes no legal responsibility or liability for the copyright compliance of third parties.
Confirmed with Hermann Hesse, Sämtliche Werke, herausgegeben von Volker Michels, Band 10 Die Gedichte, bearbeitet von Peter Huber, Frankfurt am Main: Suhrkamp Verlag, 2002, page 192.
- by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Liebe", written 1913 [author's text checked 2 times against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive):
- by Ferdinand Gerhardt, jun. (1888 - 1985), "Liebe" [ medium voice and piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Julius Klaas (1888 - 1965), "Liebe", published 1927 [ voice and piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Annie van Ommeren (b. 1914), "Liebe ", published 1964 [ voice and piano ], from Zeven Liederen op teksten van Hermann Hesse, no. 6 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Christian Immo Schneider (b. 1935), "Liebe ", op. 42a no. 8 (1977) [ medium voice and piano ], from Stufen - Hesse-Lieder 1977 für mittlere Singstimme, no. 8 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "Love", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2009-05-06
Line count: 16
Word count: 95
Once again my joyful lips wish to meet Your lips, which bless me in kissing, I wish to hold your dear fingers And fold them playfully in mine, Thirstily [I wish] to fill my gaze in yours, To wrap my head deeply in your hair, With ever watchful young limbs To respond faithfully to the moving of yours And from out of ever new fires of love To renew your beauty a thousandfold, Until, completely assuaged and grateful, We both dwell above all suffering, Until, contented, we greet day and night And today and yesterday as beloved sisters, Until, above all labour and activity, We wander in complete peace as transfigured beings.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2019 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Liebe", written 1913
This text was added to the website: 2019-02-04
Line count: 16
Word count: 112