Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Silence is all we dread. There's Ransom in a Voice -- But Silence is Infinity. Himself have not a face.
- by Emily Dickinson (1830 - 1886), written 1873 [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Jake Heggie (b. 1961), "Silence", first performed 2014 [ soprano, piano ], from Newer Every Day: Songs for Kiri, no. 1 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Silence", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Guy Laffaille [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2018-03-14
Line count: 4
Word count: 19
Missachtung macht uns bang. Erlösung bringt das Wort - Doch setzt sich Schweigen ewig fort und hat selbst kein Gesicht.
About the headline (FAQ)
- Translation from English to German (Deutsch) copyright © 2019 by Bertram Kottmann, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Bertram Kottmann.  Contact: BKottmann (AT) t-online.deIf you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
This text was added to the website: 2019-10-15
Line count: 4
Word count: 20