[And not]1 a drop that from our Cups we throw For Earth to drink of, but may steal below To quench the fire of Anguish in some Eye There hidden -- far beneath, and long ago.
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
1 Lehmann: "Ah, not"
- by Edward Fitzgerald (1809 - 1883), title 1: "And not a drop that from our Cups we throw", title 2: "Ah, not a drop that from our Cups we throw", appears in The Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyám, Fourth Edition, no. 39, appears in The Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyám, Third Edition, no. 39 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
- a text in Persian (Farsi) by Hakim Omar Khayyám (c1048 - c1122) [text unavailable]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Liza Lehmann (1862 - 1918), "And not a drop that from our Cups we throw", 1896 [ contralto ], from In a Persian Garden, no. 7, recitative [sung text checked 1 time]
This text (or a part of it) is used in a work
- by Henry Houseley (1852? - 1925), "Part 3", published 1917 [ soli, chorus, orchestra ], from cantata Omar Khayyám, no. 3, New York : H. W. Gray
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in English, a translation by Edward Fitzgerald (1809 - 1883) , no title, appears in The Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyám, Second Edition, no. 42, first published 1868 ; composed by Granville Ransome Bantock, Sir.
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website: 2020-07-10
Line count: 4
Word count: 35