Lascia ch'io pianga mia cruda sorte, E che sospiri la libertà! Il duol infranga queste ritorte de' miei martiri sol per pietà.
- by Georg Friedrich Händel (1685 - 1759) [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Georg Friedrich Händel (1685 - 1759), "Lascia ch'io pianga la cruda sorte", from opera Rinaldo [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- DAN Danish (Dansk) (Maryanna Morthensen) , copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English [singable] (Nathan Haskell Dole)
- ENG English [singable] (Harrison Millard)
- FIN Finnish (Suomi) (Erkki Pullinen) , copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) [singable] (Anonymous/Unidentified Artist) , "Laß mich mit Tränen mein Loos beklagen", first published 18-?
Research team for this text: Harry Joelson , Maryanna Morthensen
This text was added to the website: 2005-09-02
Line count: 6
Word count: 22
Sadly I languish 'Neath fate's oppression, Freedom bemoaning, O'erwhelmed with pains. O let my anguish Wake sweet compassion, Let grief atoning Strike off my chains.
About the headline (FAQ)
- Singable translation by Nathan Haskell Dole (1852 - 1935) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
- [ None yet in the database ]
Researcher for this text: Andrew Schneider [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2019-11-19
Line count: 8
Word count: 25