While you here do snoring lie, Open-eyed conspiracy His time doth take. If of life you keep a care, Shake off slumber, and beware: Awake, awake!
About the headline (FAQ)
- by William Shakespeare (1564 - 1616), no title, appears in The Tempest, Act II, Scene 1 [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Peter Anthony Monk , "While you here do snoring lie", 1982, published 1982, first performed 1982 [SSAA chorus a cappella], from Ariel's Five Little Songs [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Michael Nyman (b. 1944), "While you here do snoring lie", 1992, published 1992 [voice and piano], from Ariel Songs, no. 2 [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (François-Victor Hugo) , no title
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Andrea Maffei) , no title, first published 1869
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 6
Word count: 26