Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Se Florindo è fedele io m'innamorerò. Potrà ben l'arco tendere il faretrato arcier, Ch'io mi saprò difendere d'un guardo lusinghier. Preghi, pianti e querele, io non ascolterò. Ma se sarà fedele io m'innamorerò.
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Alessandro Scarlatti (1659 - 1725), "Se Florindo è fedele", first performed 1698 [violin, soprano voice, and continuo], from the opera La donna ancora è fedele [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Andrew Schneider) , "If Florindo is faithful", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Si Florindo est fidèle", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , "Falls Fiorindo treu ist", copyright © 2004, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- POR Portuguese (Português) (Débora Letícia Batista) , "Se Florinda for fiel", copyright ©, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- SPA Spanish (Español) (Diego S. Loyola) , "Si Florindo es fiel", copyright © 2003, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Andrew Schneider [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 10
Word count: 33
Falls Fiorindo treu ist, werde ich mich in ihn verlieben. Er könnte wohl seinen Bogen spannen, der Bogenschütze mit gefülltem Köcher; Ich wüsste mich wohl zu wehren gegen einen schmeichlerischen Blick. Flehen, Tränen und Klagen werde ich nicht erhören, Aber falls er treu ist, Werde ich mich in ihn verlieben.
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to German (Deutsch) copyright © 2004 by Bertram Kottmann, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Bertram Kottmann.  Contact: BKottmann (AT) t-online.deIf you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
This text was added to the website: 2004-04-29
Line count: 9
Word count: 50