Thank you for visiting!
If you haven't already, please consider donating.
Visitor donations keep us online and growing!
Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Das wollst du, Gott, bewahren rein Für diesem arg'n Geschlechte; Und lass uns dir befohlen sein, Dass sichs in uns nicht flechte. Der gottlos Hauf sich umher findt, Wo solche lose Leute sind In deinem Volk erhaben.
- by Martin Luther (1483 - 1546) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive):
- by Johann Sebastian Bach (1685 - 1750), "Choral. Das wollst du, Gott, bewahren rein", BWV 2 no. 6 (1724) [ chorus and instrumental ensemble ], from cantata Ach Gott, vom Himmel sieh darein, no. 6 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Michael P Rosewall) , "Chorus. God, preserve your true word", copyright © 2023, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website: 2020-01-28
Line count: 7
Word count: 37
God, preserve your pure [word] Before this vexing generation; And let us so obey your commands, That nothing may turn us away. A throng of nonbelievers surrounds us, Where wicked individuals Are exalted among your people.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2023 by Michael P Rosewall, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Martin Luther (1483 - 1546)
This text was added to the website: 2023-02-18
Line count: 7
Word count: 36