Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Un beau matin, chez un peuple fort doux, un homme et une femme superbes criaient sur la place publique: "Mes amis, je veux qu'elle soit reine!" "Je veux être reine!" Elle riait et tremblait. Il parlait aux amis de révélation, d'épreuve terminée. Ils se pâmaient l'un contre l'autre. En effet ils furent rois toute une matinée où les tentures carminées se relevèrent sur les maisons, et toute l'après-midi, où ils s'avancèrent du côté des jardins de palmes.
- by (Jean Nicholas) Arthur Rimbaud (1854 - 1891), "Royauté", appears in Les Illuminations [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by (Edward) Benjamin Britten (1913 - 1976), "Royauté", op. 18 no. 4, from Les Illuminations, no. 4. [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Ahmed E. Ismail) , title 1: "Royalty", copyright © 2004, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Faith J. Cormier) , title 1: "Royalty", copyright © 2004, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- CHI Chinese (汉语 / 漢語) (Yen-Chiang Che) , title 1: "皇位", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- SPA Spanish (Español) (José Miguel Llata) , title 1: "Realeza", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 10
Word count: 77
A beautiful morning, among a most gentle people, a superb man and woman, cry out in a public square: "My friends, I wish to make her your queen!" "I wish to be your queen!," she cries, and trembles. He speaks to his friends of revelation, of finished ordeals. They swoon, one against the other. Indeed, they were kings all that morning while the crimson hangings went up on the houses, and all that afternoon, when they advanced toward the coast through gardens of palms.
- Translation from French (Français) to English copyright © 2004 by Ahmed E. Ismail, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in French (Français) by (Jean Nicholas) Arthur Rimbaud (1854 - 1891), "Royauté", appears in Les Illuminations
This text was added to the website: 2004-07-04
Line count: 10
Word count: 84