Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Lustig auf den Kopf, mein Liebchen, stell dich, in die Luft die Bein'! Heisa! Ich will sein dein Bübchen, heute nacht soll Hochzeit sein! Wenn du Shakespeare kannst vertragen, O du liebe Unschuld du! Wirst du mich wohl auch ertragen und noch jedermann dazu.
Confirmed with Joseph Freiherrn von Eichendorff, Gedichte, Berlin, Verlag von M. Simion, 1841, page 256.
- by Josef Karl Benedikt von Eichendorff (1788 - 1857), "Die Geniale", appears in Gedichte, in 4. Frühling und Liebe [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Erich Wolfgang Korngold (1897 - 1957), "Die Geniale", 1911/3, from Einfache Lieder, no. 5. [ sung text verified 1 time]
- by Erich Wolfgang Korngold (1897 - 1957), "Die Geniale", 1911-14 [voice and piano], from Vier Nachgelassene Lieder, no. 4. [ sung text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Paul Hindemith) , "The Genius", copyright © 2004, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "La géniale", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Peter Donderwinkel
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2015-03-08 00:15:13
Line count: 8
Word count: 44
On your head, my dear, merrily Surrender yourself, your legs in the air! Ha! I want to be your little boy, And tonight should be our wedding! If you can get along with Shakespeare, Oh, you dear ingenue, you, You will also be able to endure me, And then everyone else, besides!
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2004 by Paul Hindemith, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Josef Karl Benedikt von Eichendorff (1788 - 1857), "Die Geniale", appears in Gedichte, in 4. Frühling und Liebe
Text added to the website: 2004-07-05 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:08
Line count: 8
Word count: 52