Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Remember not, Lord our offences, nor th'offences of our forefathers neither take thou vengeance of our sins, good Lord But spare us, good Lord. Spare thy people, whom thou hast redeem'd with thy most precious blood; and be not angry with us forever. Spare us, good Lord.
- by Bible or other Sacred Texts , from the Litany (the Book of Common Prayer) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Henry Purcell (1658/9 - 1695), "Remember not, Lord, our offences", Z. 50 (1679-82). [five-part chorus] [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Ne te souviens pas, Seigneur, de nos offenses", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , "Gedenke, Herr, nicht unserer Verfehlungen", copyright © 2004, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Ivo Zandhuis
This text was added to the website: 2004-12-13
Line count: 8
Word count: 47
Gedenke, Herr, nicht unserer Verfehlungen, Noch der Verfehlungen unserer Vorväter; Und nimm auch nicht Rache wegen unserer Sünden, guter Herr, Sondern verschone uns, guter Herr. Verschone Dein Volk, das Du erlöst hast Mit Deinem kostbarsten Blut; Und zürne uns nicht ewig. Verschone uns, guter Herr.
- Translation from English to German (Deutsch) copyright © 2004 by Bertram Kottmann, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Bertram Kottmann.  Contact: BKottmann (AT) t-online.deIf you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
- a text in English by Bible or other Sacred Texts , from the Litany (the Book of Common Prayer)
This text was added to the website: 2004-12-24
Line count: 8
Word count: 45