Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Trois beaux oiseaux du Paradis Mon ami z-il est à la guerre Trois beaux oiseaux du Paradis Ont passé par ici. Le premier était plus bleu que le ciel, (Mon ami z-il est à la guerre) Le second était couleur de neige, Le troisième rouge vermeil. "Beaux oiselets du Paradis, (Mon ami z-il est à la guerre) Beaux oiselets du Paradis, Qu'apportez par ici?" "J'apporte un regard couleur d'azur (Ton ami z-il est à la guerre)" "Et moi, sur beau front couleur de neige, Un baiser dois mettre, encore plus pur." Oiseau vermeil du Paradis, (Mon ami z-il est à la guerre) Oiseau vermeil du Paradis, Que portez vous ainsi? "Un joli coeur tout cramoisi" Ton ami z-il est à la guerre "Ha! je sens mon coeur qui froidit... Emportez le aussi."
- by Maurice Ravel (1875 - 1937) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Maurice Ravel (1875 - 1937), "Trois beaux oiseaux du Paradis", M. 69 no. 2 (1914-5) [SATB chorus], from Trois chansons, no. 2. [ sung text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Judith Kellock) , title 1: "Three beautiful birds of paradise", copyright © 2006, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Paolo Montanari) , title 1: "Tre begli uccelli del Paradiso", copyright © 2007, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , title 1: "Drei schöne Vögel aus dem Paradies", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Auditorium du Louvre
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:46
Line count: 24
Word count: 132
Three beautiful birds of paradise (My love is gone to the war) Three beautiful birds of paradise Have passed this way. The first was bluer than the sky (My love has gone to the war) The second was the color of snow The third was red as vermillion. "Beautiful little birds of paradise (My love has gone to the war) Beautiful little birds of paradise What do you bring here?" "I carry an azure glance (Your love has gone to the war) And I must leave on a snow-white brow A kiss, even purer." "You red bird of paradise (My love has gone to the war) You red bird of paradise What are you bringing me?" "A loving heart, flushing crimson." (Your love has gone to the war) "Ah, I feel my heart growing cold . . . Take that with you as well."
- Translation from French (Français) to English copyright © 2006 by Judith Kellock, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
Text added to the website: 2006-03-01 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-10-27 14:31:14
Line count: 24
Word count: 144