Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
I pioppi, curvati dal vento rimugghiano in lungo filare. Dal buio, tra il sonno, li sento e sogno la voce del mare. E sogno la voce profonda dai placidi ritmi possenti; mi guardan, specchiate dall'onda, le stelle del cielo fulgenti. Ma il vento piu' forte tempesta de' pioppi nel lungo filare. Dal sonno giocondo mi desta... Lontana è la voce del mare!
- by Enrico Panzacchi (1840 - 1904) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Giacomo Puccini (1858 - 1924), "Terra e mare", published 1902, from Novissima [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Anne Evans) , "Land and sea", copyright © 2006, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- SPA Spanish (Español) (Elisa Rapado) , "Tierra y mar", copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Sergio Leone
This text was added to the website: 2004-08-19
Line count: 12
Word count: 62
The poplars, bent by the wind roar again in long rows. In the dark, half asleep I hear them and dream of the voice of the sea. And I dream of the deep voice with its calm and mighty rhythms, the stars in the sparkling firmament, gaze at me reflected in the waves. But the wind rages louder through the long row of poplars and wakes me from my joyful sleep ... Distant now is the voice of the sea!
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to English copyright © 2006 by Anne Evans, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2006-10-17
Line count: 12
Word count: 80