Clouded with snow The cold winds blow, And shrill on leafless bough The robin with its burning breast Alone sings now. The rayless sun, Day's journey done, Sheds its last ebbing light On fields in leagues of beauty spread Unearthly white. Thick draws the dark, And spark by spark, The frost-fires kindle, and soon Over that sea of frozen foam Floats the white moon.
Please note: this text, provided here for educational and research use, is in the public domain in Canada and the U.S., but it may still be copyright in other legal jurisdictions. The LiederNet Archive makes no guarantee that the above text is public domain in your country. Please consult your country's copyright statutes or a qualified IP attorney to verify whether a certain text is in the public domain in your country or if downloading or distributing a copy constitutes fair use. The LiederNet Archive assumes no legal responsibility or liability for the copyright compliance of third parties.
- by Walter De la Mare (1873 - 1956), "Winter", appears in The Listeners and Other Poems, first published 1912 [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Gary Bachlund (b. 1947), "Winter", 2008 [ medium voice and piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Edward Toner Cone (b. 1917), "Winter" [ satb chorus and string quartet ], from Around the year  [sung text not yet checked]
- by Elaine Hugh-Jones (b. 1927), "Winter", 1966-71 [ soprano or tenor and piano ], from Eight Songs of Walter de la Mare, no. 1 [sung text not yet checked]
- by David E. Stone (b. 1922), "Winter", published 1960 [ SSA chorus and piano ], from Winter [sung text checked 1 time]
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website: 2008-01-13
Line count: 15
Word count: 64