Bist du bei mir, geh' ich mit Freuden zum Sterben und zu meiner Ruh'. Ach, wie vergnügt wär' so mein Ende, es drückten deine lieben [schönen]1 Hände mir die getreuen Augen zu!
1 omitted by Bachlund and Stölzel.
Note: the misattribution to Bach is probably due to his including the song in his Anna Magdalena Songbook.
- by Anonymous / Unidentified Author, first published 1725 [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- misattributed to Johann Sebastian Bach (1685 - 1750) and by Gottfried Heinrich Stölzel (1690 - 1749), "Bist du bei mir", <<1718, from Notenbüchlein für Anna Magdalena Bach, note: given the catalogue number BWV 508 no. 25 before the misattribution was discovered [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Gary Bachlund (b. 1947), "Bist du bei mir", 2010 [medium voice and piano] [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Gerard Bunk (1888 - 1958), "Bist du bei mir", subtitle: "Arie im alten Stile", op. 20b (1907/45?) [mezzo-soprano or soprano and strings or string quintet] [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , "If you are with me", copyright ©
- ENG English (Gary Bachlund) , "If you be with me", written 2010, copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Si tu es avec moi", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- IRI Irish (Gaelic) [singable] (Gabriel Rosenstock) , "Dá mbeifeá liom", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Davide Bocelli) , "Se tu resti al mio fianco", copyright © 2007, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- SPA Spanish (Español) (Aminta Iriarte) , "Si estás conmigo", copyright © 2003, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 5
Word count: 32