Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Bist du bei mir, geh' ich mit Freuden zum Sterben und zu meiner Ruh'. Ach, wie vergnügt wär' so mein Ende, es drückten deine lieben [schönen]1 Hände mir die getreuen Augen zu!
1 omitted by Bachlund and Stölzel.
Note: the misattribution to Bach is probably due to his including the song in his Anna Magdalena Songbook.
- by Anonymous / Unidentified Author, first published 1725 [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- misattributed to Johann Sebastian Bach (1685 - 1750) and by Gottfried Heinrich Stölzel (1690 - 1749), "Bist du bei mir", <<1718, from Notenbüchlein für Anna Magdalena Bach, note: given the catalogue number BWV 508 no. 25 before the misattribution was discovered [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Gary Bachlund (b. 1947), "Bist du bei mir", 2010 [medium voice and piano] [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Gerard Bunk (1888 - 1958), "Bist du bei mir", subtitle: "Arie im alten Stile", op. 20b (1907/45?) [mezzo-soprano or soprano and strings or string quintet] [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , "If you are with me", copyright ©
- ENG English (Gary Bachlund) , "If you be with me", written 2010, copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Si tu es avec moi", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- IRI Irish (Gaelic) [singable] (Gabriel Rosenstock) , "Dá mbeifeá liom", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Davide Bocelli) , "Se tu resti al mio fianco", copyright © 2007, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- SPA Spanish (Español) (Aminta Iriarte) , "Si estás conmigo", copyright © 2003, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:16
Line count: 5
Word count: 32
Se tu resti al mio fianco, andrò felice alla mia morte e al mio riposo. Ah, la mia fine sarebbe una gioia, se le tue mani adorate chiudessero i miei occhi fedeli!
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2007 by Davide Bocelli, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Anonymous/Unidentified Artist, first published 1725
Text added to the website: 2007-01-22 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:20
Line count: 5
Word count: 32