Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Sound the trumpet till around You make the listening shores rebound. On the sprightly oboy play. All the instruments of joy That skilful numbers can employ To celebrate the glory of this day.
- by Nahum Tate (1652 - 1715) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive):
- by Henry Purcell (1658/9 - 1695), "Sound the trumpet", Z. 335 (1678). [duet for high voice and low voice] [text verified 1 time]
- by Henry Purcell (1658/9 - 1695), "Sound the trumpet", Z. 323 no. 3 (1694) [vocal duet for 2 counter-tenors], from Come, ye Sons of Art, no. 3. [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Bertram Kottmann) (Marc Lerique-Koechlin) , title 1: "Tant sur la trompette sonnez", copyright © 2006, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) (Lidy van Noordenburg) , title 1: "Blaas de trompet", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Elaine Marie Ortiz-Arandes) , title 1: "Laßt die Trompete erschallen", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Siân Goldthorpe
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 6
Word count: 33
Blaas trompetgeschal in 't rond Laat 't weerklinken op stil strand en grond. Speel op de vrolijke hobo. Alle instrumenten zo blij Die velen kunnen bespelen Om deze glorieuze dag te vieren.
- Translation from English to Dutch (Nederlands) copyright © 2008 by Lidy van Noordenburg, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2008-10-20
Line count: 6
Word count: 32