At last -- to be identified! At last -- the Lamps upon1 [thy]2 side -- The rest of Life -- to see -- Past Midnight -- past the Morning Star -- Past Sunrise -- Ah, what Leagues there [are]2 Between our feet -- and Day!
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
1 spelled "opon" in the manuscript versions.
2 in one of the two manuscript variants, Dickinson had "your"
3 in one of the two manuscript variants, Dickinson had "were".
- by Emily Dickinson (1830 - 1886), no title, appears in Poems of Emily Dickinson, first published 1890 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive):
- by Arthur Farwell (1872 - 1952), "Resurgam", op. 66 no. 2, published 1926, from Two Poems by Emily Dickinson, no. 2 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Jake Heggie (b. 1961), "At last, to be identified!", 1995 [ soprano and piano ] [sung text not yet checked]
- by Richard Pearson Thomas (b. 1957), "At last to be identified!", from At last, to be identified, no. 6 [sung text not yet checked]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 6
Word count: 36