Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Por traidores, tus ojos, voy a enterrarlos; No sabes lo que cuesta, «Del aire» Niña, el mirarlos. «Madre a la orilla Madre.» Dicen que no me quieres, Ya me has querido... Váyase lo ganado, «Del aire» Por lo perdido, «Madre a la orilla Madre.»
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Manuel de Falla (1876 - 1946), "Canción", published 1914 [voice and piano], from Siete Canciones Populares Espanolas, no. 6. [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Anne Evans) , "Song", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Garrett Medlock) , "Song", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Chanson", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Arthur Rishi
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 14
Word count: 44
Because your eyes are traitors I will hide from them You don't know how painful it is to look at them. "Mother, I feel worthless, Mother." They say they don't love me and yet once they did love me "Love has been lost in the air Mother, all is lost It is lost, Mother."
- Translation from Spanish (Español) to English copyright © 2009 by Anne Evans, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2009-02-07
Line count: 14
Word count: 54