Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
I hide myself within my flower, That wearing on your breast, You, unsuspecting, wear me too -- And angels know the rest.
About the headline (FAQ)There is another version of the poem:
I hide myself within my flower, That, fading from your vase, You, unsuspecting, feel for me Almost a loneliness.
- by Emily Dickinson (1830 - 1886), no title [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by James Fitzwilliam (b. 1963), "I hide myself within my flower", 1999, from Three Flower Songs, no. 2. [text not verified]
- by David Sisco , "I hide myself within my flower", 2007 [soprano and piano], from Love is..., no. 3. [text not verified]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title unknown, copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website: 2009-01-19
Line count: 4
Word count: 21
Je me cache -- à l'intérieur de ma fleur, Pour que la portant sur ton sein -- Tu -- sans le savoir, me portes aussi -- Et les anges savent le reste.
About the headline (FAQ)For the other version:
Je me cache -- à l'intérieur de ma fleur, Pour que me fanant dans ton Vase -- Tu -- sans le savoir -- ressentes pour moi -- Presque -- de la solitude --
- Translation from English to French (Français) copyright © 2009 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2009-11-12
Line count: 4
Word count: 28