Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Há uma estrela no céu Que ninguém vê senão eu: Inda bem! -- que a não vê mais ninguém. Como as outras não reluz, Mas dá tão serena luz, Que inda bem! -- não a vê mais ninguém. No cantinho azul do céu Onde ela está, não digo eu A ninguém! -- sei-o eu só: inda bem.
- by João Baptista da Silva Leitão de Almeida Garrett (1799 - 1854), "A estrela", appears in Flores [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by José Vianna da Motta (1868 - 1948), "A Estrela", op. 10 no. 3 [high voice and piano], from Cinco canções portuguesas : para canto e piano, no. 3, Lisboa : Sassetti [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , "The star", copyright © 2013
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 9
Word count: 54
There is a star in the sky That no one sees but I; How good! -- that no one else sees it. It does not shine as the others do But it gives out such a calm light! How good! -- no one else sees it. In a blue little corner of the sky, Where it is, I will not tell No one! -- Only I know it: how good.
- Translation from Portuguese (Português) to English copyright © 2013 by Emily Ezust
Emily Ezust permits her translations to be reproduced without prior permission for printed (not online) programs to free-admission concerts only, provided the following credit is given:
Translation copyright © by Emily Ezust,
from the LiederNet Archive -- https://www.lieder.net/
For any other purpose, please write to the e-mail address below to request permission and discuss possible fees.
- a text in Portuguese (Português) by João Baptista da Silva Leitão de Almeida Garrett (1799 - 1854), "A estrela", appears in Flores
This text was added to the website: 2013-09-29
Line count: 9
Word count: 67