Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Von der Lerche lerne Sänger deine Lieder, Kommt aus weiter Ferne Treu zum Neste wieder. Kommt der Lenz gezogen, Kommt sie auch geflogen.
- by Ferdinand, Freiherr von Rast (1808 - 1889), as Ferdinand Hilarius [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Laura Prichard) , "Song of the lark", copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Chant de l'alouette", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Ferdinando Albeggiani
This text was added to the website: 2008-03-31
Line count: 6
Word count: 23
De l'alouette, apprends, Chanteur, tes chants, Elle vient d'un pays lointain Fidèlement vers son nid. Quand le printemps arrive, Elle arrive aussi en volant.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to French (Français) copyright © 2010 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Ferdinand, Freiherr von Rast (1808 - 1889), as Ferdinand Hilarius
This text was added to the website: 2010-12-11
Line count: 6
Word count: 24