Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Noch hallt nur aus der Ferne Ein frisches Liedchen von mir. Der Vater eilt zu dem Kinde, Der Geliebte, mein Feinlieb, zu dir. Er küßt dich auf die Stirne, Er küßt dich auf den Mund, Nun sie zu dir ihn tragen, Sind ihm die Füße nicht wund.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Adelbert von Chamisso (1781 - 1838), no title, appears in Lieder und lyrisch epische Gedichte, in Auf der Wanderschaft, no. 3 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Johannes Pache (1857 - 1897), "Noch hallt nur aus der Ferne", op. 49 no. 3, published 1887 [men's chorus a cappella], from Auf der Wanderschaft, no. 3, Leipzig, W. Dietrich [text not verified]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , title 1: "Now only from the distance sounds", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website: 2009-08-11
Line count: 8
Word count: 47
Only from the distance still sounds A brisk little song of mine. The father is hurrying to his child, The beloved, my dear one, to you. He will kiss you upon your brow, He will kiss you upon your lips, Now that they are carrying him to you, His feet are no longer sore.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2011 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Adelbert von Chamisso (1781 - 1838), no title, appears in Lieder und lyrisch epische Gedichte, in Auf der Wanderschaft, no. 3
This text was added to the website: 2011-03-10
Line count: 8
Word count: 54