Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Un certo non so che Mi giunge e passa il cor, E pur dolor, non è. Se questo fosse amor? Nel suo vorace ardor, Già posi incauta, Posi il piè!
- by Sebastiano Biancardi (1679 - 1741), as Domenico Lalli, written 1716 [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Antonio Vivaldi (1678 - 1741), "Un certo non so che", RV 700, first performed 1716 [strings and soprano voice], from the opera Arsilda, regina di Ponto [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Barbara Miller) (Lorenzo Prelli) , copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Philippe Lebourg) , "Un certain je-ne-sais-quoi", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- SPA Spanish (Español) (Diego S. Loyola) , "Un cierto no sé qué", copyright © 2003, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Andrew Schneider [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 7
Word count: 30
Un certain je-ne-sais-quoi M'arrive et me traverse le cœur Et pourtant ce n'est pas douloureux Si c'était l'amour, cela? Dans son ardeur vorace, Imprudent, j'ai déjà posé... J'ai déjà posé le pied!
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to French (Français) copyright © 2011 by Philippe Lebourg, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Italian (Italiano) by Sebastiano Biancardi (1679 - 1741), as Domenico Lalli, written 1716
This text was added to the website: 2011-12-21
Line count: 7
Word count: 32