Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Non conosco in tal momento se l’amico o il genitore sia più degno di pietà. So però per mio tormento ch’era scelta in me l’amore, ch’era in te necessità.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi (1698 - 1782), as Pietro Metastasio, no title, appears in Artaserse [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Leonardo Vinci (1690 - 1730), "Non conosco il tal momento", HelN 78 no. 21 (1730), first performed 1730 [ strings, soprano voice, and continuo ], from opera Artaserse, no. 21 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Andrew Schneider) , "Whether, in such a moment", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Andrew Schneider [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2018-06-21
Line count: 6
Word count: 29
Whether, in such a moment, my friend or his father is more deserving of pity, I do not know. Nevertheless, I know, to my torment, that my love was taken from me, that this was your apparent duty.
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to English copyright © 2019 by Andrew Schneider, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Italian (Italiano) by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi (1698 - 1782), as Pietro Metastasio, no title, appears in Artaserse
This text was added to the website: 2019-10-16
Line count: 6
Word count: 38