Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
In 1895 there were only two cars in the whole state of Ohio. They collided.
- by Anonymous / Unidentified Author [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Elizabeth Walton Vercoe (b. 1941), "Traffic", 2008 [ mezzo-soprano and guitar ], from Five True Remarkable Occurrences, no. 3, confirmed with composer's website [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Circulation", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- SPA Spanish (Español) (Poom Pipatjarasgit) , "El tráfico", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Malcolm Wren [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2018-11-19
Line count: 2
Word count: 15
En 1895 il y avait seulement deux voitures dans tout l'état d'Ohio. Elles sont entrées en collision.
- Translation from English to French (Français) copyright © 2019 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2019-07-04
Line count: 2
Word count: 17