Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Abraham to kill him -- Was distinctly told -- Isaac was an Urchin -- Abraham was old -- Not a hesitation -- Abraham complied -- Flattered by Obeisance Tyranny demurred -- Isaac -- to his children Lived to tell the tale -- Moral -- with a Mastiff Manners may prevail.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Emily Dickinson (1830 - 1886), no title, written 1863 [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Brian Holmes (b. 1946), "Abraham to kill him" [soprano, chorus, children's chorus, and orchestra], from Amherst Requiem, no. 4. [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Abraham de le tuer", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website: 2008-06-18 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:44
Line count: 12
Word count: 40
Abraham de le tuer Fut clairement mandaté -- Isaac était un Garnement -- Abraham était vieux -- Pas d'hésitation -- Abraham obéit -- Flattée par l'Obéissance La Tyrannie hésita -- Isaac -- à ses enfants Vécut pour leur raconter l'histoire -- Morale -- avec un Mâtin Les Manières peuvent l'emporter.
- Translation from English to French (Français) copyright © 2012 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
Text added to the website: 2012-10-09 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:05:04
Line count: 12
Word count: 41