Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Rotästige Föhren, Birken silbern und zier, Schweigsame Buchen, Sagt, leidet auch ihr? Und ihr, atmende Blumen Im summenden Bienengesang, Ist denn auch euer Leben So dunkel und bang?
Confirmed with Hermann Hesse, Sämtliche Werke, herausgegeben von Volker Michels, Band 10 Die Gedichte, bearbeitet von Peter Huber, Frankfurt am Main: Suhrkamp Verlag, 2002, page 167.
- by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Spaziergang", written 1909 [author's text checked 2 times against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Franz Josef Frey (b. 1907), "Spaziergang", 1951 [ soprano and piano ], from Hermann Hesse-Lieder, no. 1 [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Herbert Thienemann (1884 - 1963), "Spaziergang", published 1931 [ voice and guitar or lute ], from Sonne im Herbst - Lieder zur Gitarre (Laute), no. 16 [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "Stroll", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Promenade", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
Text added to the website: 2009-05-06 00:00:00
Last modified: 2019-04-08 16:28:50
Line count: 8
Word count: 28
[You] red-branched pines, [You] birches silver and delicate, [You] silent beeches, Tell me, do you suffer as well? And you, breathing flowers In the humming song of bees, Is your life then also So dark and anxious?
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2019 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Spaziergang", written 1909
Text added to the website: 2019-05-30 00:00:00
Last modified: 2019-07-22 22:29:01
Line count: 8
Word count: 37