Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
The moon on the one hand, the dawn on the other: The moon is my sister, the dawn is my brother. The moon on my left and the dawn on my right. My brother, good morning: my sister, good night.
- by (Joseph) Hilaire Belloc (1870 - 1953), "The early morning", appears in Verses and Sonnets, first published 1896 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Antony Garlick (b. 1927), "The early morning", published 1967 [2-part chorus of equal voices a cappella], from Eleven Canzonets [text not verified]
- by (Gerald) Graham Peel (1878 - 1937), "The early morning", published 1910 [voice and piano], from The Country Lover, no. 4, London, Chappell & Co. [text not verified]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- SPA Spanish (Español) (José Miguel Llata) , title 1: "La mañana temprana", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website: 2009-01-16
Line count: 4
Word count: 40
La luna en una mano, el amanecer en la otra La luna es mi hermana, el alba es mi hermano. La luna a la izquierda y el alba a la derecha. Hermano, ¡buenos días¡; hermana, ¡buenas noches¡.
- Translation from English to Spanish (Español) copyright © 2013 by José Miguel Llata, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in English by (Joseph) Hilaire Belloc (1870 - 1953), "The early morning", appears in Verses and Sonnets, first published 1896
This text was added to the website: 2013-04-18
Line count: 4
Word count: 37