by Alfred Henschke (1890 - 1928), as Jucundus Fröhlich Klabund
Translation © by Sharon Krebs

Language: German (Deutsch) 
Available translation(s): ENG FRE
"Du gabst mir immer wieder
Dein Herz und deine Lieder,
Ich nahm sie sorglos hin.
Nun muß ich dich betrüben:
Ich [darf]1 dich [nicht mehr]2 lieben,
Weil ich nicht dein mehr bin."

"Und liebst du einen andern,
[Will]3 ich ins Weite wandern,
Mir wird so enge hier.
Wie schmerzlich blüht der Flieder!
Mein Herz und meine Lieder,
[Ich lasse sie bei dir]4."

View original text (without footnotes)

Confirmed with Klabund Gesammelte Gedichte Lyrik Balladen Chansons, Wien: Phaidon-Verlag, 1930, page 231.

1 Mengelberg "kann"
2 Orff: "nimmer"
3 Mengelberg "Muß"
4 Orff: "Die lasse ich bei dir"


Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)

Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):

  • ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "Dialogue", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
  • FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Dialogue", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission

Researcher for this text: Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
Language: English  after the German (Deutsch) 
"Again and again you gave me
Your heart and your songs,
I accepted them unheedingly.
Now I must grieve you:
[I am no longer allowed to] love you,
Because I am no longer yours."

"And if you love another,
I [shall]2 wander out into the wide world,
I feel so confined here.
How painfully the lilac blooms!
My heart and my songs,
[I leave them behind with you]3."

View original text (without footnotes)
1 Mengelberg: "I can no longer love you"; Orff: I am not allowed to love you any more”
2 Mengelberg "must"
3 Orff: "Those I leave behind with you"


  • Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2014 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.

Based on