The Highland Balou
Language: Scottish (Scots)
Hee Balou, my sweet wee Donald,
Picture o' the great Clanronald!
Brawlie kens our wanton Chief
What gat my young Highland thief.
Leeze me on thy bonnie craigie!
And thou live, thou'll steal a naigie,
Travel the country thro' and thro' ,
and bring hame a Carlisle cow!
Thro' the Lawlands, o'er the Border,
Weel, my babie, may thou furder!
Herry the louns o' the laigh Countrie,
Syne to the Highlands hame to me!
Translation(s): ENG FRE GER GER
List of language codes
Submitted by David K. Smythe
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
Settings in other languages or adaptations:
- Also set in German (Deutsch), a translation by Wilhelm Christoph Leonhard Gerhard (1780 - 1858) , title 1: "Hochländisches Wiegenlied" CAT DUT ENG FRE by Robert Alexander Schumann, Heinrich von Sahr.
Other available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (David K. Smythe) , title 1: "The Highland lullaby", copyright © 2005, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (David K. Smythe) , copyright © 2005, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) [singable] (Bertram Kottmann) , title 1: "Wiegenlied aus den schottischen Highlands", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-07-28 11:29:41
Line count: 13
Word count: 76
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
The Highland lullaby
Language: English after the Scottish (Scots)
O hush! My sweet little Donald
Image of the great Clan Ronald!
Excellently teaches our wanton Chief
That fathered my young Highland thief.
Dear to me is thy pretty neck!
If thou live, thou'll steal a horse,
Travel the country through and through,
and bring home a Carlisle cow!
Through the Lowlands, over the Border,
Well, my baby, may thou thrive!
Harry the lads of the low Country,
Afterwards to the Highlands home to me!
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
Note: this is a translation into modern English
- Translation from Scottish (Scots) to English copyright © 2005 by David K. Smythe, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
Text added to the website: 2005-04-27.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:13
Line count: 13
Word count: 77