WARNING. Not all the material on this website is in the public domain.
It is illegal
to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material
For more information, contact us at the following address:
Submissions by Smythe, David K.
( 70 items: 46 texts and 24 translations )
To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
Texts and Translations
- O hush! My sweet little Donald; title: "The Highland lullaby" [translation]
- O chut! Mon doux petit Donald [translation]
- Dors bébé; title: "La chanson de la nourisse" [translation]
- Ye Hielands and ye Lawlands; title: "The bonnie Earl of Murray"
- Qué me importa que florezca; title: "El desdichado (Boléro)"
- Often, to amuse themselves, the crewmen; title: "The albatross" [translation]
- Vulcan provide me such a cup; title: "To wine and beauty"
- And are you sleeping, my girl; title: "And are you sleeping, my girl?" [translation]
- From the rosebush, O mother; title: "From the rosebush, o Mother" [translation]
- One day, one day, O my mind; title: "One day, o my mind" [translation]
- Sent as a present from Annam; title: "The red cockatoo"
- As I was walking all alane; title: "The twa corbies"
- The rustling nightfall strews my gown with roses; title: "Along the stream"
- In a slumber which held your image spellbound; title: "After a dream" [translation]
- A nice shepherd girl; title: "Song of Christmas Day" [translation]
- Driver, drive faster and make a good run; title: "Calypso"
- They are not long, the weeping and the laughter
- Mira la bianca luna; title: "La serenata"
- O sweet everlasting Voices, be still
- When you're feeling like expressing your affection; title: "When you're feeling like expressing your affection"
- What land of Silence
- Love is a rose bush; title: "Love's Garden" [translation]
- Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone
- See how the sun; title: "Birthday song for Erwin"
- I went outside; title: "Sweet flower" [translation]
- O the valley in the summer where I and my John
- Grandfather and grandmother; title: "Portrait of a family" [translation]
- Larmes aux fleurs suspendues
- Some say that Love's a little boy
- O, Cranham ways are steep and green; title: "Walking Song"
- Tears hanging from the flowers; title: "Tears of gold" [translation]
- Guarda qui che lo vedrai; title: "Guarda qui che lo vedrai"
- Sleep, little child, sleep; title: "Cradle-song at the bed-side of a sick child" [translation]
- Come un sogno d'or; title: "Rimpianto"
- Saper vorrei se m'ami; title: "Saper vorrei se m'ami"
- When I lie on the bed; title: "When I lie on the bed" [translation]
- It was on the fifth of August; title: "Brigg Fair"
- If the voice of a child can reach You; title: "In prayer" [translation]
- A lake and a fairy boat
- I'll sing you a song about two lovers; title: "Bold William Taylor"
- When Death to either shall come
- The Spring is at the door
- In Scotland I was bred adden born; title: "Hard hearted Barb'ra (H)Ellen"
- Hee Balou, my sweet wee Donald; title: "The Highland Balou"
- The child was singing, the mother, stretched out on the bed; title: "Childhood" [translation]
- O what if the fowler my blackbird has taken; title: "The fuchsia tree"
- Slow spreads the gloom my soul desires; title: "Evan Banks"
- In summer, when day is done, from the flower-covered; title: "June nights" [translation]
- If I were a little bird; title: "If I were a little bird" [translation]
- Not even summer yet
- I look into the still valley; title: "He and she" [translation]
- My dear mistress has a heart
- I know a place in London where the country comes to town; title: "Covent Garden"
- Non Nobis, Domine; title: "Non Nobis, Domine!"
- O, curlew, cry no more in the air
- Here morning in the ploughman's songs is met; title: "Ploughman singing"
- The foliage falls from the trees; title: "Autumn Song" [translation]
- Pale brows, still hands and dim hair
- In a garden so green in a May morning; title: "Eloré Lo"
- Violets and leaves of vine; title: "A coronal"
- Già la notte s'avvicina
- I cried when the moon was murmuring to the birds; title: "The withering of the boughs"
- I am a poor tiler in simple array; title: "Tom Tyler"
- See how the trees and the osiers lithe; title: "In spring"
- The Lily floated white and red; title: "The water lily"
- I wander by the edge
- As I was walking all alone; title: "The two ravens" [translation]
- Are you still awake, darling? Greetings and kisses!; title: "Lover's serenade" [translation]
- Who is at my bedroom door?; title: "At my door" [translation]
- Vulcan contrive me such a Cup; title: "Upon his drinking a bowl"